A staple in many Italian meals is the versatile rice dish that we all know (and love) as risotto. With a few additions and substitutions, this popular side dish recipe gets a healthy makeover! By adding veggies, and using whole grain brown rice, this Vegetarian Crock Pot Risotto Recipe has just 5 Points per serving. Not too shabby. Plus, it’s loaded with fiber and tastes great! It makes a delicious and healthy side dish recipe that’s perfect to compliment your favorite Weight Watchers main dish. I just served this risotto at a party recently, and it was a big hit. Plus, who doesn’t love easy, low calorie crock pot recipes!?!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Risotto Recipe
The perfect Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipe that tastes great and is a great accompaniment to many meals. Cheesy and healthy, this Crock Pot Risotto is sure to be a hit! And though it’s not an official one of Weight Watchers Slow Cooker Recipes, it should be – it’s fabulous!
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 4 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 1 cups water
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 large fennel bulbs, cored and finely diced
- 2 cups frozen French-cut green beans
- 1/3 cup green onions, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray the inside of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker with non fat, butter flavored cooking spray.
- Crush fennel seeds with a rolling pin or the bottom of a saucepan.
- Combine the fennel seeds, diced fennel, rice, carrot, shallot and garlic in the slow cooker. Add broth, 1 cup water and wine, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, but pleasantly chewy, and the risotto is thick and creamy, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours on high or low.
- Shortly before serving, cook green beans according to package instructions and drain.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Stir the green beans, mushrooms, green onions, Parmesan, yogurt, lemon zest and pepper into the risotto. If it seems dry, heat the a bit more water and stir it into the risotto.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 3-4 hours
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 212 calories; 3g fat; 35 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 8 g fiber