Give this vegetarian white chili a try for a tasty supper this fall. You can serve it with a side of chips and salsa, or try some cornbread. This versatile chili can be made on the stove in a snap, or you can cook it all day in the crockpot, for a supper ready to go when you get home.
- 2 cans white beans (Great Northern) (14.5 oz each)
- 1 can (12 oz) sweet corn
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the peppers, onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cumin, coriander and chili powder. Mix and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the stock and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the beans and corn and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust the taste, if needed.
- Stir in the cilantro. Continue to simmer for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with shredded cheese, cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 217 calories; 3g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 11g protein; 8g fiber