A couple of weeks ago we went hiking on Saturday, and we had cranberry and turkey breast sandwiches (truly delicious, a family favorite after Thanksgiving). I had lots of turkey leftover, so I made a turkey pot pie, but this is a traditional chicken pot pie recipe (you can use chicken or turkey, whatever you happen to have leftover). It was my first try in a long time to make gluten free pie crust and it was a huge success. The crust turned out light and flaky and incredibly delicious. However, gluten free pie crusts are a very tender and can be a little difficult to work with – but this one is worth it. If you don’t need to make it gluten free, just use two prepared 9-inch pie crusts. Or, if you’re short on time, there are prepared gluten free pie crusts you could use as well. This recipe is incredibly tasty and full of flavor – my husband and I both loved it.
A delicious and traditional turkey pot pie with a gluten free crust. It’s flaky and the perfect comfort food.
- Pie Crust:
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 8 – 12 Tbsp ice cold water
- Turkey Pot Pie:
- 3 cups turkey, cooked and diced
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- For the Pie Crust:
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and cut the butter into the flour.
- in a small bowl, beat the egg.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the egg into the well.
- Add 8 tbsp of water to the well in the middle and mix well.
- Add additional water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough forms.
- Form the dough into two equal balls.
- Roll the dough into 2 pie crusts.
- Place one crust in a lightly greased pie pan. Set aside.
- For the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the turkey, carrots, green beans, peas, celery, onion and 1 cup of chicken broth in a large pot.
- Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the broth begins to boil.
- Mix the remaining chicken broth and cornstarch together and add to the filling mixture.
- Mix well and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cook until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Place the other crust onto the top of the pie and crimp the edge.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Use two regular wheat flour, prepared pie crusts in place of the gluten free crust. This makes each serving 7 points.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet tags: High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1/8 of a pie.
Each serving = 10 Smart Points/7 Points
PER SERVING: 313 calories; 12g fat; 5.4g saturated fat; 31g carbohydrates; 3.4g sugar; 18g protein; 3.5g fiber