Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
Succulent and tender chicken wrapped in corn tortillas and topped with a mild and delicious home made green enchilada sauce.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (10 oz each) green tomatillos
- 1/2 – 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Sauce (above recipe)
- 1 1/2 lbs shredded, cooked chicken
- 8 white corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×9 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until soft.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno pepper and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
- Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Add to the onions and garlic.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the chicken and cheese in a large bowl.
- Evenly divide the chicken mixture into the tortillas and roll each tortilla.
- Pour a little sauce into the bottom of the prepared pan, then place the rolled tortillas in the pan.
- Pour on additional sauce, makings sure the tortillas are covered with sauce.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the sauce begins to bubble.
- Serve hot with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and any remaining sauce.
You can dip the tortillas in the sauce before rolling the chicken mixture in them to make sure they are a little more moist and don’t come apart.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 tortilla with filling and sauce.
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/8 Points
PER SERVING: 331 calories; 10g fat; 1.7g saturated fat; 26g carbohydrates; 2.7g sugar; 33g protein; 4g fiber