These unbelievably delicious Breakfast Muffins make the perfect idea for a healthy, low calorie breakfast on the go. Each muffin has just 4 Points, and are very filling! Loaded with bacon, mushrooms and cheese, these savory muffins taste so good, it’s hard to believe they are Weight Watchers friendly. Since we are often running around like crazy in the morning, it’s nice to make these the night before, and then we have a quick and healthy breakfast to grab on the way out the door the next morning. You can also bake an extra batch or two and freeze them, so you’ve always got a good, low Points breakfast food on hand that you can re-heat in a pinch.
Bacon, Mushroom and Cheese Breakfast Muffin Recipe
A great idea for an easy low calorie breakfast on the go, these savory muffins have just 4 Points each. Not bad for a quick breakfast that tastes amazing, is very filling, and is super easy to make.
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1 1/3 cups non-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup extra-lean turkey bacon, diced and cooked
- 1/2 cup grated reduced fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp light butter, melted (I used Brummel & Brown)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and butter in a medium bowl.
- Fold in green onions, bacon, cheese and mushrooms.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just moistened.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (the cups will be very full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 muffin
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 176 calories; 4 g fat; 22 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber