I’m someone who isn’t a morning person. I love to eat and cook, but mornings are one of those times that if I’m not really inspired, breakfast is just a chore. Any time that I can find a delicious recipe for breakfast, I’m always excited. I love things that don’t require forethought and these muffins fit the bill. They are tender, moist and delicious. The whole cranberries add a wonderful tart flavor. If you’ve only got dried cranberries, use half of the amount, since dried cranberries add several points to each muffin. The sliced almonds add a little crunch and the whole wheat flour provides whole grain goodness. If you’re concerned about whole wheat products being grainy – make sure you get a whole wheat flour that’s very finely ground. If it’s finely ground, you won’t be able to tell the difference, and you’ll love these wonderful breakfast muffins!
Whole grain muffins with tart cranberries and crunchy almonds that are perfect for breakfast on the go or as a snack.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp honey (more to taste, if desired)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with muffin papers.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) and set aside.
- Mix together the wet ingredients (oil, honey, applesauce, eggs, vanilla and milk) and add to the dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in the almonds and cranberries.
- Evenly divide the batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 – 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool slightly, but serve warm.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 11 servings
Serving size is about 1 muffin.
Each serving = 5 Smart Points/4 Points
PER SERVING: 134 calories; 5.7g fat; .8g saturated fat; 19.6g carbohydrates; 5g sugar; 6.2g protein; 4.1g fiber