Scones are a wonderful breakfast food and snack. They are so simple to make and they can be made with just about any combination of flavors. One of my favorites is cranberry orange. But since I had some bananas, I thought I’d try this banana nut scone. It’s wonderful! I typically don’t like to cut in the butter. I take my butter out of the fridge and grate it with a cheese grater. Then all I have to do is just mix it in with a spatula. These scones are light, fluffy and moist. They’re a quick and easy breakfast or snack.
Delicious banana nut scones that are gluten free. They are simple and easy to make, perfect for breakfast.
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 egg
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cut the butter in until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In a small separate bowl, mix together the milk and egg until well combined.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Fold in the bananas.
- Roll the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 3 minutes, then cut into 12 pieces.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: English
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is about 1 scone
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/5 Points
PER SERVING: 187 calories; 10.8g fat; 4.5g saturated fat; 20g carbohydrates; 7.7g sugar; 4.2g protein; 2.1g fiber