photo credit: food network
I’ve been on a Paula Deen kick lately….I just cannot get enough of her delicious, homemade Southern Recipes!! But being a Weight Watcher, there’s no way I could eat her food without consuming almost all of my daily PointsPlus Allowance in one serving. So, I enjoy experimenting with healthier versions of her recipes which allows me all the flavor of the South, but with a LOT less fat and calories. One of my favorite low calorie salad recipes that I want to share today, is a slimmed down version of Paula Deen’s Country Potato Salad. Just by making a few small changes, I created a version that has just 3 Points per 1 cup serving!! This one is definitely a keeper for summer BBQ parties and potluck picnics! It’d be a great WW Memorial Day Recipe to either serve at your celebration or to take along with you! That way you know you’ve got at least one healthy side dish option to indulge in. Enjoy!
Country Potato Salad Recipe
Looking for a tasty, low calorie potato salad recipe to take to a Memorial Day BBQ this year? Try this healthier version of a popular Southern recipe for Country Potato Salad, and enjoy the flavors you love without the guilt. Each 1 cup serving has just 3 Points!
- 2 pounds small, red potatoes (skins can be left on or peeled off – whichever is preferred)
- 3 large hard-boiled egg whites
- 1 large hard-boiled egg
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 3 oz lean smoked ham, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, fresh
- 2 tbsp chopped dill, fresh
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces and place them in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until just tender, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on their size. Drain and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, put them in a large salad bowl, and in add celery, ham, green onions, parsley, chives, and dill. Toss to combine. Add buttermilk, mustard, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Gently stir in chopped egg.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 135 calories; 2g fat; 21g carbohydrates; 7g protein; 2g fiber