There are two things about this recipe that I love – salad and Asian. This salad is filled with Asian flavors, from the garlic and sesame dressing to the seasoned tofu. Tofu was an acquired taste for me. Growing up, my mom would make it, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the texture, so it took a long time before I tried it again and realized that I actually like it. The key to really tasty tofu is to make sure it’s seasoned well. Typically, you can’t stir it much, or it will disintegrate, so just simmer it for a while (15 – 25 minutes) in some seasoned broth and you’ll have a seriously tasty meal when you’re done. It’s something you can add to Oriental soups (like a chicken noodle), Asian noodles (even just spaghetti with a peanut dressing and tofu) or serve it on top of rice. I used what I had on hand for vegetables, but feel free to change up the veggies to suit your personal tastes. I like to salad the best when the tofu is still warm, but not hot (or cold). I think it has the best flavor. It’s a simple salad that doesn’t take long to make, but it’s delicious and packed with fiber.
Asian Tossed Salad with Tofu
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar not packed
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu cubed
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ginger fresh, grated
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 English cucumber finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots julienned
- 2 C lettuce chopped
- 2 C cabbage chopped
- In a small bowl or jar, mix together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- In a fry pan, combine the tofu, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger and broth.
- Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the tofu is well seasoned. Stir only as needed to keep the tofu from sticking to the pan.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cucumber, bell peppers, onion, carrots, lettuce and cabbage.
- Add the dressing and toss to combine well.
- Divide evenly onto 4 large bowls or plates and top with the tofu.
- Serve immediately or chill until serving.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 2 cups
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/6 Points
PER SERVING: 227 calories; 7g fat; 1g saturated fat; 34g carbohydrates; 8g sugar; 12g protein; 11g fiber