Since last weekend was a 3 day weekend with Memorial day, my in-laws came down for the weekend. We had a couple of projects to work on while they were here (the guys had a couple of projects, I was just hoping to get out of as much work as possible), so it worked perfectly. I like to have everything planned out and everything I possibly can prepped before a weekend like that. It makes life so much easier and less stressful. I also love food and cooking, so it was a perfect opportunity to take advantage of 2 extra mouths and make some delicious food! I had a beef roast (just a regular chuck roast) that desperately needed to get out of the freezer and used, so I decided to do BBQ beef. I wanted to do it in the crockpot, since it’s easy and turns out really delicious meat. I also wanted to do a Carolina inspired BBQ sauce. Since some of our close friends are from the Carolinas (he’s originally from the North and her from the South), they’ve introduced us to some really delicious BBQ. This sauce is just perfect. It’s a combination of the traditional ketchup based sauces that I’m used to (being from the North), but it’s got the tangy apple cider vinegar that really gives the sauce a robust flavor. It’s not as sharp as distilled white vinegar and is almost a little sweet. I skipped the hot sauce (Since none of us like it really hot), but added it here so that you can adjust it to your taste. I love this BBQ beef, it’s definitely going to be a great recipe for the summer. I don’t have to use the oven and it goes so well with potato salad, coleslaw, veggie trays or any other summer sides I want to serve it with.
- 2 lbs beef roast (chuck, arm, pot, etc)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce (or to taste, optional)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Place the beef roast with 1-2 cups water in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 1 hour before serving, prepare the sauce.
- Combine all the BBQ sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the beef from the crockpot and drain off the excess liquid and grease.
- Using two forks, pull the beef apart into long strings.
- Place the beef back into the crockpot with 2/3 of the sauce.
- Cook on high for 30-45 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Serve with additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
Additional sauce can be stored in the refrigerate for at least 2 weeks.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 3 oz of meat with about 3 Tbsp sauce
Each serving = 9 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 313 calories; 16.8g fat; 1.2g saturated fat; 17.0g carbohydrates; 8.7g sugar; 24.4g protein; .5g fiber