Who says lasagna can only be cooked in a casserole dish? This super yummy vegetarian lasagna recipe is made easy by using a crock pot instead of the traditional oven and baking dish. It’s loaded with protein and veggies, and saves all the Points for the good stuff….the CHEESE. This recipe doesn’t skimp – it’s made with 3 cups of reduced fat mozzarella. Each nicely sized serving is just 8 Points, which is a pretty good bargain for a big hunk of cheesy lasagna! Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner idea that’s not only delicious, but is a healthy meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
Need a quick dinner idea that you can throw in a pot and forget about? Well, this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe fits the bill! Healthy and delicious, you can treat yourself to a cheesy piece of low calorie lasagna made the easy way.
- 15 (12oz) whole-wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
- 1 15 oz container fat free ricotta
- 3 cups shredded reduced fat mozzarella
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 3 large portobello mushroom caps thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large bowl, combine egg substitute, ricotta, salt, pepper, oregano, spinach, mushrooms and eggplant.
- Mix both kinds of tomatoes and their juice, basil and garlic, in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with non-fat cooking spray.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of the tomato mixture in the slow cooker.
- Arrange 5 noodles over the sauce, overlapping them slightly and breaking into pieces to cover as much of the sauce as possible.
- Spread half of the ricotta-vegetable mixture over the noodles and firmly pat down, then spoon on 1 1/2 cups sauce and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella.
- Repeat the layering one more time, starting with noodles. Top with a third layer of noodles. Evenly spread the remaining tomato sauce over the noodles.
- Set aside the remaining 1 cup mozzarella.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on High for 2 hours or on Low for 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker, sprinkle the reserved mozzarella on the lasagna, cover and let stand for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2-4 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1/8th of lasagna
Each serving = 8 Points
PER SERVING: 290 calories; 7 g fat; 38 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 8 g fiber