I am a big fan of side salads with a meal or soup. I will prepare a side Caprese Salad when I am making an Italian style chicken dish or a side for Italian Wedding soup. I prefer a colorful presentation which is why I use both yellow and red tomatoes. I prefer to use the balsamic vinegar instead of salt and pepper. The basil adds a very nice compliment to this traditional salad. The oil helps bind the ingredients and the vinegar is added for flavor. I have prepared this salad without the vinegar and just the oil topped with salt and pepper.
A quick and easy side dish to any Italian meal or hearty soup. This recipe has a great deal of flavor using very little ingredients.
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese sliced and quartered ( 1/4-inch thick) ( Buffalo mozzarella is used for this recipe. Any fresh mozzarella in a container with water is fine or you can use packaged whole mozzarella as well)
- 1 large red tomato, sliced in half; then each half quartered
- 1 large yellow tomato, sliced in half; then each half quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup light extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Sea salt (optional)
- Wash tomatoes and cut off tops where the stems were.
- Slice tomatoes in half then quarter each half and place in a medium bowl.
- Slice mozzarella and then quarter (if you are using fresh mozzarella in water, you can dab the ball lightly with a paper towel to absorb any excess water).
- Add basil and oil; mix gently.
- Transfer mixture to serving dish and drizzle balsamic vinegar on top then serve.
- Optional: you may add salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation time: 5-7 minute(s)
Cooking time: No cooking
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes: 4 servings
Serving size is: about ½ cup.
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 195 calories; 14.5 fat; 4.9g carbohydrates; 10.4 g protein; 1.2g fiber